6.19.2010

June 1, 2010 – Summer Contract Signed!

After two busy weeks of networking and searching for job opportunities for my summer break from seminary, I was amazed at what God had provided. A summer ministry position with Union Gospel Mission (ugmtc.org) came out of nowhere. Summer ministry positions are typically hard to come by, especially when your seminary classes end three weeks later than all the colleges. Because of this, I was spending most of my efforts with a temp agency and networking in the insurance world. rather than talking to ministries.


By the grace of God, I just “happened” to get pointed to Union Gospel Mission (UGM) by one of the leaders at the national Life Coaches for Kids® ministry. One of the contacts he gave me “happened” to be the leader of UGM’s initiative in Minneapolis, who I attended college with 10 years ago. He just “happened” to need a temp to hire person for the expanding Minneapolis ministry. He also just “happened” to have received approval to post the position a day ago, which meant it wasn’t an official opening yet. Knowing it could take all summer to find someone that way, he prayed about it and decided to propose changing the position to a summer-only contract with a view towards hiring someone else in the Fall.

Neighborhood BBQ hosted by UGM and partner Good in the 'Hood.

Bottom line: this 20 hour per week ministry opportunity in the inner-city is now a reality. My assignment is to help put together a strategic plan proposal for UGM’s work in Minneapolis and help with the UGM downtown ministry in Inner-city Minneapolis, among other things. This is a great opportunity to serve the poor by laying the foundation for ministries that touch the physical, spiritual, and vocational needs of the community...  all while learning from a gifted leader, and helping inner-city youth! Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. Good news Tony! I'm looking for a place to give some of my time this summer. I'd like to hear more about the ministry you're serving with. Give me a call when you get a chance 573-268-3184

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's AMAZING Tony - God is surely blessing the work of your hands!

    ReplyDelete